Monday, February 4, 2013

Introduction

This blog is for an assignment in my class on The Anthropology of Latin America.

I chose Costa Rica because I've seen it mentioned as one of the prettiest places and wanted to learn more about it. I know basically nothing about Costa Rica, currently. What I do know is that it is located somewhere in Central America, people speak Spanish there (the country's name means "Rich Coast" in Spanish), it has sloths, and it looks really green and tropical from all the pictures I have seen.

After doing some searching on the internet, this is what I have learned.



Location:
Towards the bottom of Central America, sandwiched between two countries, south of Nicaragua and north of Panama.

Population: 
According to wikipedia, the 2011 census reported 4,301,712 people.

Languages Spoken: 
The official language is Spanish, and there are two recognized regional languages, Mekatelyu, and Bribri.

Capital:
San Jose, located in the center of the country.

Official Religion:
Catholicism

Official Sport:
Futbol (Soccer)

Random Info:
~ There are many volcanoes in Costa Rica, 6 active and 61 dormant.
~ There is a famous sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica as well.

 Flag of Costa Rica

 
A cute video of the sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica.

Various animals from Costa Rica.
Arenal Volcano of Costa Rica

No comments:

Post a Comment